Prepare Your Wood Surface: It is important to clean the wood surface of any mold, mildew and dirt before applying a oil finish. The wood surface must then be completely dry before the deck oil application. The quality of your deck oil finish could be impacted if you do not properly prepare the wood surface.Clean the wood using WOCA Exterior Cleaner
- Soak the wood with water. Use a garden hose if possible.
- Mix Exterior Cleaner with water in the ratio 1:2.
- Apply the exterior cleaner with a nylon brush or spray. *For extremely dirty surfaces, WOCA Exterior Cleaner can be used undiluted.
- Scrub the soaked wood along the grain until it appears clean.
- Repeat the cleaning if necessary.
- Rinse the surface thoroughly with water immediately after cleaning.
- Leave the wood to dry for at least 24 hours. The humidity of the wood should not be above 17%.
- Sand down any rough wood fibers with sandpaper, grit 120.
WOCA Deck Oil must be applied in dry weather only. The minimum temperature should be 55.4°F. Avoid applying in direct sunlight and high temperatures, as this may cause the oil to dry to quickly during application. For fast even application, try our oil applicator.
- Stir the oil thoroughly before use.
- Apply an even and thin coat of oil using a brush or using the WOCA Oil Applicator. Treat the end grain wood first. The wet oil may have a white shade. When the water has evaporated after a few minutes, the wood will appear oiled.
- Wipe off any excess oil with clean cotton cloths after no more than 5 minutes. Take particular care of removing excess oil from joints and grooves.
- If the surface does not appear saturated with oil, repeat steps 2 and 3.
- When the wood is dry, it may be polished with a polishing pad or polishing machine to ensure an extra hard-wearing surface.
- It takes 24 to 48 hours for the oil to harden thoroughly, depending on weather conditions and outdoor temperature. During this hardening period, the wood must not be exposed to water.
Cleanup & Disposal: Wash rollers, brushes, and equipment, with water. Be sure to let air dry out of direct sunlight before disposal. Dispose of empty containers or unused oil finish in accordance with local, state and federal guidelines. Always keep the oil container closed when not in use. Soak application rags, cloths, or any other materials in water immediately after use and disposed of in a tightly closed container to prevent spontaneous combustion.
Risk of self-ignition! Due to the risk of self-ignition it is important that sanding dust and oil wetted cloths are soaked in water and disposed of in a tightly closed
container after use. Dispose the container in accordance to local regulations.
Deck surfaces can be cleaned using WOCA Exterior Cleaner to remove any green growth or dirt. WOCA Exterior Cleaner will not harm surrounding vegetation. Reapply WOCA Exterior Oil as needed. The wood is easily maintained and is spot repairable if scratched. No sanding or stripping is necessary between coats.